Years and years ago my awesome friend Meg over at Meg’s Everday Indulgence shared a recipe for Thai Chicken Pizza and our family fell in love. It started getting called Peanut Butter Pizza in our house and it’s requested constantly by the kids. I mean, what kid doesn’t want peanut butter on pizza? :D
There are days when I am craving Thai Chicken Pizza, but I don’t want to go through the effort of making dough and waiting for it to rise. Not to mention all the work of rolling it out and spreading out sauce and toppings. Uff. So much work. ;)
Okay, it’s not that bad, but it does require some time and planning ahead and I don’t always have that! Sometimes I need a meal that I can get on the table in a matter of minutes. Yes, minutes. Because we keep shredded and diced chicken in the freezer this is a meal that requires almost zero time and effort - even the big kids can make them!
Other posts you may enjoy:
The perk of quesadillas is that they can be completely customized to the eater. I like adding shredded carrots and broccoli to mine. If I could ever get my cilantro to grow again I’d throw that in as well. Pepper strips or cabbage would also be a great addition to these!
My kids tend to only want carrots and some would rather go for a simple chicken quesadilla. But everyone wants the peanut sauce. It’s got a subtle hint of heat but is completely addictive and you will want to put it on ALL THE THINGS. If you don’t have rice wine vinegar I’ve subbed regular white vinegar without an issue. If your sauce is too thick you can thin it out with water, one teaspoon at a time.
We like to use our Griddler to make these because it cooks both sides at once. The only downside to this is that it presses them flat - very flat. To avoid this you can cook them in a skillet. Be sure to keep the heat on the lower side so the cheese has a chance to melt before the tortilla burns! You can either cook them open faced and fold, which will help with the squish issue, or make the full quesadilla and flip it over when the bottom is browned and crispy.
Thai Chicken Quesadillas
4 flour tortillas
1 cup cooked & diced or shredded chicken breasts
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup broccoli florets
1/2 cup shredded carrots
Simple Peanut Dipping Sauce
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/3 cup peanut butter
1 tbsp honey
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp Sriracha
2 tbsp water
1. Mix all ingredients for peanut dipping sauce in glass measuring cup.
2. Microwave for 30 seconds and stir.
3. Microwave for additional 30 seconds and stir until smooth. Set aside.
4. Heat a skillet over medium heat or turn on griddle to medium high.
5. Assemble the quesadilla by sprinkling a small amount of each cheese, chicken, broccoli, and carrots evenly.
6. Add another small layer of cheese and a second tortilla.
7. Cook over medium heat until cheese begins to melt and tortilla begins to brown on underside, 2-3 minutes.
8. Flip quesadilla over carefully and continue to cook on other side for 1-2 minutes.
9. Remove from heat when both tortillas are golden.
10. Cut into wedges and serve with peanut dipping sauce.