We all have these lists of activities or goals we want but most of us seem content keeping them as a wish list. Okay, maybe not so content. We love to daydream of what life would look like if we said goodbye to the daily grind of our 9-5 job and started our own business, or how fulfilling it would be to help out at the teen pregnancy center in town, but that’s as far as we get. We dream. We let the voices of doubt creep in and set our dreams and wishes aside.Read More
It's significantly lighter at 615am than at 545am. A simple 30 minutes makes a huge difference in the early morning hours. I liked the cloak of darkness last week because I could stay hidden from view. People didn't need to see my slow progress or bad form. But today I was in the light. I needed to choose to keep going or hide in my house. Here I go.Read More
Do you have bedtime battles in your house? We have faced some incredibly challenging moments in our house regarding bedtime. There was a span of time when the battle lasted for HOURS. It didn't matter if we were sitting in the room with the kids, outside the door, or hid in our room. It usually started with an excuse or two and then would dissolve into screaming. Nothing we did would stop. We tried singing songs, telling stories, sticker charts, special toys, extra prayers, going to bed earlier, going to bed later. Nothing made a difference.
Perhaps it just took time but most of the battles are over. We still have a bad night once in a while but it's mostly the excuse train that has stationed itself at our house these days. In order to find humor (and a little joy) in the annoying excuses I started keeping track and now I get to share them with you. I know I've forgotten some. There were days when I was frustrated and found no humor in the reasons they were out of bed. Or I didn't write them down thinking I would remember (why I still think I can do this I'll never know). But these are still pretty humorous excuses!
1. The dog is sniffing me.
2. The dog isn't staying where I put her.
3. I have a booger on my finger.
4. I want you to go to bed first.
5. I can't sleep with the light on but I don't want it turned off.
6. I forgot to wipe my butt.
7. I don't know how to close my eyes
8. I don't know how to sleep
9. I can't sleep alone without my best friend Bella [the dog].
10. I need to blow my nose [and the 10 million scraps of toilet paper in the room are not enough].
11. I want someone to play my leappad but they are sleeping.
12. My stuffed animals want to have a party.
13. I finished my water.
followed shortly by....
14. I need to pee again.
15. I need to take a deep breath.
16. I need help taking a deep breath.
17. The cat is going to get me [through a shut door].
18. But I went to bed at nap time!
19. I heard you make a noise.
20. Superheroes don't sleep.