Okay, so this isn't a typical summer recipe but it's a family favorite and since I made it last week I knew I needed to share it with all of you.
I love using my slow cooker in the summer because it doesn't heat up the whole house! I'm amazed at all the recipes available for making different kinds of foods in the slow cooker these days. I remember the days before Pinterest and food blogs when you only cooked a few select types of dishes in a slow cooker. Roasts, soups, and dips were about the extent of the slow cookers regimen. I'm so glad people have experimented and come up with an abundance of ways to cook in a slow cooker!
But back to this recipe. This stroganoff is creamy and rich but not heavy. I've included the beef in this recipe but often times we make it with only mushrooms. It keeps the recipe on the frugal side and offers a vegetarian option if you need that.
This recipe is also a great choice if you work during the day because the broth part can cook all day (no need for timers) and once you are home switch it to high and continue with the sour cream portion of the recipe while you make the noodles. Make sure to really blend the sour cream and corn starch together well so that you don't end up with clumps in the finished dish. This is usually my only "fail" with this recipe because I rush the mixing before pouring it into the broth. Don't be like rushed me!
The recipe listed is for a single batch. It will probably make enough for 4 people, maybe 6, but no leftovers. We triple this recipe when we make it because there are seven of us and we like leftovers! It multiplies easily so make as much or as little as you need. I don't always multiply the amount of beef because money, but do what you want. A triple batch fits easily in a six quart slow cooker so a single would be perfect in a two quart cooker.
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
2lbs beef stew meat (or other roast cut into chunks)
1 cup beef broth
8 oz mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup water
2 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
2 TBSP tomato paste
2 cloves garlic, minced or 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 cup sour cream
3 TBSP corn starch
1/4 cup water
12 oz egg noodles
1. Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper. In large skillet, brown meat a little at a time. Drain fat.
2. Add meat to slow cooker along with beef broth, mushrooms, 1/2 cup water, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, and garlic. Stir to combine.
3. Cover and cook on low heat 8-10 hours.
4. 30 minutes before serving turn slow cooker to high. In a measuring cup or bowl mix together sour cream, 1/4 cup water, and corn starch. When the slow cooker mixture gets bubbly, add in sour cream mixture and combine well with whisk.
5. Cook for 15 more minutes until creamy. Serve over hot egg noodles. Enjoy!